While we think every day is World Environment Day, officially – that is, according to the UN – it’s June 5. The celebration of this day provides an opportunity for individuals and businesses to think about their impact on the environment, and how best to preserve and enhance it.
Every year, celebrations centre around a theme – for 2019, that theme is “Beat Air Pollution”, a call to action call to combat this global crisis. Chosen by this year’s host, China, it invites us all to consider how we can change our everyday lives to reduce the amount of air pollution we produce, and thwart its contribution to global warming and its effects on our own health. Some suggestions are:
- Use public transport or car sharing, cycle or walk
- Switch to a hybrid or electric vehicle and request electric taxis
- Turn off the car engine when stationary
- Reduce your consumption of meat and dairy to help cut methane emissions
- Compost organic food items and recycle non-organic trash
- Switch to high-efficiency home heating systems and equipment
- Save energy: turn off lights and electronics when not in use
- Choose non-toxic paints and furnishings
While we cannot help with the office carpool, we can help with recycling. Contact us today to find out how you can save on waste-management costs – and the planet.